Wednesday, November 25, 2009

DuBose Thankfulness

I won't be able to spend any time with my parents and siblings for Thanksgiving, so in case they read this during this season, I wanted to be sure they knew of my thankfulness. Here goes:

  • I am thankful for picking up cans.
    I can almost see Mama's face over that one. She's waited umpteen years to hear me say that, and even now, she doesn't get to HEAR me say it except in her mind as she reads it :D
    But seriously, I'm thankful Mama made me pick up cans to pay for my trip to Australia. It was humiliating at the time, but I look back now at the humble quality it instilled in me and the appreciation I gained to be able to take such a trip. It worked, Mama!
  • I am thankful for cupcakes and wii and Guitar Hero.
    I'm not a big fan of cupcakes, but sharing them with my sister over a game of "battle of the bands" (whatever the game was called) makes them the best treat in the world.
  • I am thankful for buckskin.
    When I was 17, I had stars in my eyes and wanted to give my beau a Christmas present he would never forget, something with meaning to him. I came up with what I wanted to make, but had no idea how to get the supplies or how to make one. My daddy took me to the shoe cobbler in town, bought me beautiful golden buckskin and then designed a leather pouch that is so unique and beautiful. Tommy still has it, still uses it, and still marvels over it more than 20 years later. What I gained from it is a memory of my daddy, and how important it was to him to help me with this,....thank you daddy!
  • I am thankful for Facebook.
    That's insane, I know! But that's the place I have gotten to know my little sister. She still does "little sister stuff" and I roll my eyes at her, but I've gotten to see things about her I've never had the chance to see otherwise. I've been able to watch my nephews grow when space and time have not allowed me to otherwise. I've even been able to argue with Doug there, and that's just plain fun!
  • I'm thankful for roadkill.
    No kidding- ROADKILL! David and I actually went on a roadkill hunt once...but the hides we were going for were just bonus. It was the time to be together and talk,...something we've only done about 3 times in our whole lives.
These are only a few things. I am thankful for SO many things. The internet just isn't a big enough place for my gratitude, so I'll leave it at this,....and a note to my family that I love you all.... soo soo much!

Have good food, good conversation, and good feelings among you and think of me for a moment this Thanksgiving Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment